Dr. Abha Agrawal
MD FACP FACHE
Dr. Abha Agrawal is an alumna of Harvard and Yale Universities, a Fulbright Scholar, an author of several books on patient safety and health information technology, and an international leader in healthcare and health technology.
Dr. Abha Agrawal has served in numerous leadership roles in the US and she is currently appointed as the Chief Medical Officer at Norwegian American Hospital, Chicago, IL. She served as Chief Medical Officer at New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation – Kings County Hospital, a 700-bed academic teaching center in NY.
In 2011, in recognition of her role as a rising healthcare leader, she was invited to the White House to meet with President Obama’s health and economic policy advisor and to provide testimony at the US Senate. In 2019, she received a special invitation to the 4th Global Health Ministers Summit on Patient Safety in Saudi Arabia in 2019 to speak to Health Ministers of 63 countries.
She is the founder of A4 CLINICS (www.a4clinics.com), a positive social impact venture to launch a chain of clinics with the aim to reduce the burden of unnecessary disability in India through advanced robotic and technology enabled rehabilitation made affordable to an average citizen. It was recognized at the Global Entrepreneurship Summit 2017, inaugurated by Indian Prime Minister Modi and Advisor to the US President, Ivanka Trump, held in Hyderabad, India.
Some selected board / leadership roles include:
- Founding Member and Board of Directors, The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE – MP chapter)
- Board of Governors, The Institute of Medicine, Chicago
- President of the Board, Chicago Physicians for Social Responsibility
- Member, National Medical Informatics Committee, American College of Physicians
- National Medical Leadership Committee, America’s Essential Hospitals
- Member, Governor’s Council, the American College of Physicians, Illinois Chapter
- Commissioner, Certification Commission for Health Information Technology
She has received numerous accolades with some notables including:
- Top 20 Global Women of Excellence – US Congress, Chicago (2019)
- Make in India award by Bharat Nirman Foundation, New Delhi (2017)
- Woman of the Year award by Congressman Danny Davis, Chicago (2015)
- “130 Women Hospital and Health System Leaders to Know” national list by Becker’s Hospital Review three years in a row, USA (2015/2014/2013)
- Healthcare leadership award by the American College of Healthcare Executives (2014)
- Fulbright Scholar (2011)
Her books include:
- EndNote 1-2-3: Reference Management for the Professional (Author), published by Springer. 1st edition 2003, 2nd edition 2008, 3rd edition 2019.
- “Patient Safety: A Case-based Comprehensive Guide” (Editor), published by Springer and released in October 2013. Second edition underway.
- “Health IT and Patient Safety: A Clinical Case Series” (Editor), published by Springer and released in September 2016.
She was teaching faculty at Harvard Medical School, Northwestern University and State University of New York in Brooklyn. She received her post-graduation in Medicine at the State University of New York and a fellowship in Medical Informatics at Yale School of Medicine. She obtained her M.B.B.S. degree from SN Medical College, Agra, India and was a gold medalist in all professional exams.